Thursday, January 15, 2009

first week of classes...DONE!

Heya!

I finished the first week of classes today around 3! The intensive Italian week is over and I took a placement test around 9 am this morning. Our last "field trip" was to go to the supermarket today. We had to take a mini metro down to the bottom of the hill. Its cute because the mini metro is only a year old and all of the locals are extremely proud of it. Its literally this little tiny box on rails that takes you up and down the hill that Perugia is built around and the bottom of the hill is modern! I didn't even recognize it as the antique town of Perugia! Anyways, we got to the "Big Coop" It looks exactly like your typical Krogers, which was somewhat sad but somewhat comforting all at the same time. Since we learned how to order meat, cheese, fish, bread and such I wanted to put my skills to good use and I actually had a conversation with the cheese lady! We understood eachother and I didn't even point! I was so excited afterwards my friends wont stop making fun of the huge smile on my face. Oh well, it was the neatest thing ever!!

But its now the weekend, and we're all so excited to actually be able to sleep in tomorrow! It should be interesting to see when we wake up.. ha. But i think we're going to take it easy this weekend and explore the nooks and crannies of Perugia, head to the open air market, and then day trip to Assisi, which is about 30 minutes by rail. I cant wait to start traveling out of Italy either!!

On another note, last night one of my roommates, Lauren, and I just realized that we are in the same sorority, it was the oddest discovery ever!! What are the chances!! Everything is still going well (which is great because ive only been here 6 days.. haha) but its so neat that my roommates and I get along SO well, We're all incredibly different! And Perugia is still as beautiful as the first time I saw it :) and just because I can rub it in, it was about 48 degrees F today :) Only downside is that it keeps spitting rain at least once a day, but no down pours, just a little drizzle here and there and the locals freak out and get out their ponchos, umbrellas, rainboots, EVERYTHING! While all the Americans are like wow, this is nothing haha

Anyways, I think Im going to head out to meet some friends for salsa dancing :) but keep up the emails!! i love getting them!! miss you guys SO much and hope all is well back home! Ciao!!

3 comments:

  1. It's -15 outside right now. I took my dog out for a walk and nearly died. You and your 48 degree weather. Grumble.

    I would have paid money to have seen this smile at successfully ordering cheese. Where are these pictures you keep promising us? Or video of you salsa dancing. bwahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this American college student that killed her roommate? It's all over the news! It's in Perugia! I've told you to control your anger, Erika...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, look! I can post now bc I have a blog! Not that I'll use it, but at least I can comment now!! <3 u!

    ReplyDelete